Friday, April 22, 2011

Bad Friday

This is what today should really be called, or worse. There quite frankly wasn't much good for Jesus during this horrible day. I want to take these few minutes to remember what Jesus endured for Me, for You, as we remember this most treacherous, terrible day for Him that loved us so greatly!


Betrayal by a close friend
Despised
Rejected
Humiliated
Mutilated
Stress to the point of sweating blood
Forsaken by his Father
Filthy with sin
DEATH

At least for me, sometimes I gloss over all these happenings, which four faithful historians described in such clear detail for us. We think of Easter as a day of celebration and Life, which it is. But it is only because Jesus Died first. Really, truly DIED.
How his disciples must have felt, not knowing (although they had been warned) that he was going to rise again. What despair, what darkness must have filled them to the brim! For two more days!

Growing up, the Good Friday service at my home church was one of the most powerful services of the year for me. When we think of all He went through because He loved us THAT much, it humbles me beyond the ability to express.

O sacred Head, now wounded, with grief and shame weighed down;
now scornfully surrounded with thorns, thine only crown;
O sacred Head, what glory, what bliss till now was thine!
Yet, though despised and gory, I joy to call thee mine.

What thou, my Lord, hast suffered was all for sinners' gain;
Mine, mine was the transgression, but thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Savior! Tis I deserve thy place;
look on me with thy favor, vouch-safe to me thy grace.

What language shall I borrow to thank thee, dearest Friend,
For this, thy dying sorrow, thy pity without end?
O make me thine forever; and should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to thee!

Bernard of Clairvaux, 12th century

No comments:

Post a Comment