This March I decided to venture in the paths of what most women since Creation have had no choice but to do: Cloth diaper my children. This is a simple thing that, though it is not a pleasure to do in and of itself, saves money, saves last minute trips to Target, and makes me feel just a touch closer to the life Laura Ingalls would have lived. And somehow, though I have to still swish poop down the toilet, that makes me feel good.
Here's Mr. Cute himself sporting one of the several cloth diapers I bought, after MANY hours of research. Let me tell you, buy them new and buy them from cottonbabies.com. (Free shipping!) Ebay did not work out for me on this (cheaper diapers = cheaper material = less material = wet and messy clothes. Not good!)
Discovery number two that has made my life a tad better is the fact that Raw Milk tastes great and doesn't make me feel awful. AND the farm I get it from has been under my nose these last 20 years! 2 minutes from my parents' house there live plenty of very pretty, cute brown cows that produce very delicious milk. I'm hooked. I make everything with it now, including these lovely Apricot Love Letters with Vanilla Pastry Cream (and at over 4% milkfat, it almost is like cream =: ) Yum!
Discovery number three: my husband is a garden fanatic. Not that our little .11 acre plot of land has that much to garden, but boy when he gets an idea into his head, he goes gung-ho! Between Good Friday afternoon and that following Monday night, we now have 4 beautiful raised beds inspired by the square-foot gardening trend, with seeds that are just now beginning to burst from their dirty homes. So God willing, barring the onslaught of slugs, disease, bunnies, and small children, we may have some:
Tomatoes,
green and yellow beans,
onions
carrots
spinach
leaf lettuce
sugar snap peas
zucchini
cucumbers
peppers
and oh yes, marigolds. They smell awful but that's the point: they are supposed to ward off unwanted rodents.Sounds like a lot, and it is a lot, in not that much space. But we crammed them in. I love how the seed packets say "sow 3-4 inches apart in rows 36 inches apart." Yeah, so O'Connell speaking, that's 1/2 inch apart and rows 6 inches apart. But we don't have to walk between the rows, AND there's tons of healthy soil for them to thrive off of, i.e. Irish peat moss (at least I think that's where all the peat bogs are), O'Connell compost, and cow poop. What plant could ask for a happier start? So I'll keep you posted on our gardening adventure as the summer (what a wonderful word) progresses. (as well as pictures)
Discovery number 4: Ducks are able to hatch two different colors of chicks. And are they CUTE. I had the fortunate experience of witnessing a brand new gaggle on my neighbors porch this past weekend, just sitting there (she could have hatched them there for all I know they were so fresh). She didn't seem to mind I got within three feet of her to shoot a quick pic.
Ahhh....smell it! SPRUMMER! May just exudes happiness in it's new life, warm weather, fresh sunshine, blossoming everything, and pretty much is my favorite month of the year (ok, so it's my birthday month, so I guess I'm biased). But it IS lovely nonetheless, and I'm so happy it's finally here.
A couple days late I know, but anyway, HAPPY MAY DAY!
This post leaves me all energized and excited about new things, fresh air, and generally SPRING! Love it (and especially you).
ReplyDeleteha! i know what farm you're going to-- we got milk there too when we lived there. "raw milk" is just beginning to trend here, in seattle, a friend has been raving about it. as it is soooo expensive-- we have made the less-farther leap and switched to organic milk. and i do really feel less gassy!
ReplyDeletecan't wait to see you and your boys and your garden! xoxoo
p.s.
ReplyDeletei really like the way you write.
"what most women since Creation have had no choice but to do: Cloth diaper my children"
your posts always give me a good giggle ;)
I'm happy to hear about the cloth diaper thing - it just sounds better and better. Not that I have any little ones yet...
ReplyDeletemuch love to you.