Four years ago, I was at the home of a friend for lunch. She served me a delicious looking BLT, with of course, the 'T' actually in it. You see growing up, I LOVED BLT's but would always substitute the T for a C (cheese =: ).
So there I was, not wanting to be rude, and thinking to myself "goodness Charis get over raw tomatoes and LEARN to like them." So I bit into it, and alas, relished every bite of that amazing sandwich! With the tomato in it!
Let me now clarify something about tomatoes I never quite understood until that day. A fresh, blood-red, juicy, sweet tomato picked an hour ago off the sunshine drenched vine is NOT the same thing as a grocery store tomato. Are they even in the same 'family'? At any rate, that was the best BLT I had ever had, juicy and salty and fresh. So thank Jeane' for opening my eyes and tastebuds to the joy of fresh tomatoes...
Amazingly enough we're still picking the last remnants of our bountiful 7 plants. It's Ed's pleasure especially to go out and pick all the blushed pink ones that need to finish ripening indoors (otherwise they fall off before they fully ripen and the bugs get into them in less than .02 seconds). But they are still good, especially married to garlic toast and the last bits of fresh basil.
So here's a simple pleasure for your mouth. Enjoy!
This is how I make my bruschetta~
4 -6 slices of a good crusty bread or baguette
2 TB. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tomatoes (or 6-7 plum tomatoes). diced
1 TB. olive oil
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
a pinch of sugar (the late tomatoes aren't as sweet)
a pinch of salt and pepper
Freshly grated mozzarella cheese
Freshly grated parmesan (if you have it)
Fresh basil leaves
Mix olive oil and garlic together and brush onto your bread. Grill or toast in a 400 degree oven until crisp and golden, about 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile, combine your fresh tomatoes, oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar if needed, and salt and pepper. Let marinate while bread is toasting.
When bread is desired golden brown, spoon tomato mixture on and sprinkle with cheeses and fresh basil. The bruschetta can be served right away or you can return it to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese, or you can let it sit for up to an hour at room temperature. However you want to eat it, it's scrumptious!
P.S. sorry about the header not being centered...Does anyone know how to fix that? I just want my blog to look pretty and I am SUCH a computer dunce when it comes to this kind of stuff!
That Bruschetta looks amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteIf you want your header centered, I think you'll need to go to the "Design" section of your blog Dashboard, and chose a new template OR adjust widths under "Blog Template Designer". I know that isn't much help, and if you want to email me your passwords, i can tinker with it a little! (not that I am a pro, but i do help my mom out a little with her backgrounds). Happy Rainy Wednesday!