There is a difference I believe in giving thanks, and being thankful. The former is done easily enough in words or a kind gesture, but the latter is a state of being. That is what I am trying to work on. I don't want to just give thanks at dinner, or only thank Jesus for dying on the cross for me during communion, or thanking God when I happen to see a beautiful sunset.
I want to BE thankful. Always. In the good times and the not so good times. For whatever my day may hold, I am told to be thankful for it is God's will. And I don't know about you but it seems easy to be thankful for the big things in life (like salvation, family, a good job, good health, etc.) but often times I am not even close to being 'thankful in all things ' in the daily humdrum of life.
So as I make scrambled eggs for breakfast for the 800th time, I will be thankful for my electric stove.
As I wash my dishes, I will be thankful I can just turn the faucet on and water magically comes out- hot OR cold.
As I change on average 10 diapers a day, I will be thankful for the convenience of disposable diapers.
If I burn my pork chops on the stove, I will be thankful I have other options for dinner in my pantry, and that I don't have to go out and butcher my own pigs.
As I get stressed about doing a rushed afternoon of errands without the kids, I will be thankful that I don't have to sheer the sheep to make the yarn to make the clothes. And that I don't have to take care of a horse to get me to all these places.
And you know what else I'm thankful for? CD players that play relaxing music whenever I want.
I could go on and on, but you get the picture...
As much as I love reading books and watching movies based on the 'olden days', I am SOOO thankful for the modern conveniences that too often we take for granted. I don't want to spend my time complaining about the little things when I can, simply (with the full knowledge that this task is NOT so simple), BE thankful in all circumstances.
So what can you be thankful for?
I agree Charis, being thankful should be a state of mind. When you are thankful for things all the time and focus on that, you remember how good you have it and those troubles in your life just get a little bit smaller. I try to thank God all the time for my life and the wonderful opportunities he's given me because I know I'm super blessed with all that I have.
ReplyDeletePerfectly written reminder, dear Charis!!
ReplyDeleteSo many things!
ReplyDeleteToday, I am thankful that there were leftovers at our small group leader meeting so I could have a really yummy and easily thrown-together lunch.
I am thankful that the urge to be involved is greater than the urge to veg right now.
I am thankful that I am beginning to understand how glorious it will be not to worry about things as much as I get older.
I am thankful for how much a great cup of coffee adds to my work day- and that I have a great coffee maker.
The list continues...
(PS. Writing it all out was a lot of fun!)