Monday, November 1, 2010

"Bears. Beets. Battle Star Galactica."

If you haven't seen the episode of The Office where Jim impersonates Dwight, you're missing out! These three 'B's'  are things that Dwight loves of course. Unlike him, however, I do NOT like beets (bears and Battle Star Galactica I can handle). Here are some of my reasons:

#1: They look like dirt.
#2: They taste like dirt.
#3: They may resemble a rat on your counter:

Nonetheless, when beets are forced on you by your local community produce co-op (which is wonderful except for the main fact that you do not choose what produce you get each week), and you do not want to just throw them in the trash, and you can't find anyone else who likes them either, you go to allrecipes.com and look up 'beets' and see if anything would make this humble vegetable worth eating. 
So this is what I did about a month ago when beets starting making a regular appearance in our produce share. And low and behold, I found a Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake recipe that is absolutely delicious. 

"CAKE! EVERYBODY LIKES CAKE!" - Donkey
"I don't care what everyone likes! Ogres are NOT like cakes." - Shrek

So I read reviews on it just to make sure it wasn't chocolate cake that tasted like, well, dirt, but all the comments were positive enough for me to try it. Long story short, I have made it three times now and anyone who has tasted it cannot tell at all that there are beets in it...just tastes like amazingly moist chocolate cake. 
Me being me, I have altered it somewhat, so here's my version. So if you happen to find yourself with edible rats on your counter this fall, now you know what to do with them!!

Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake

1 cup butter, divided
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
4 oz. bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped fine
2 tsp. vanilla
3 TB. cocoa
2 1/4 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4-5 beets

1. Clean beets and cut ends off. Wrap in foil and roast in a 400 degree oven until tender, about an hour. Cool, peel, and process in blender with a little water until smooth. Add enough water if needed to make about  2 cups. Reduce oven to 350.
2. Melt chocolate and 1/4 of the butter in the microwave on high for 45-60  seconds. Stir to smooth.  Let cool slightly.
3. Beat the remaining 3/4 of the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat several minutes. Add vanilla, chocolate, and beet puree. Beat until smooth. Mix together all the dry ingredients and add in 2-3 additions, beating on low speed, until combined. Scrape down bowl and beat another 30 seconds or so until smooth and thoroughly combined. 
4. Spray a 10" bundt pan with cooking spray. Spread batter into it and smooth with a spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto a rack and cool completely. 

All this cake needs is a little powdered sugar or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you're good to go. Freezes beautifully as well. Enjoy!









8 comments:

  1. I kid you not, I thought that was a rat on your counter! I just about flipped a lid! The cake sure does sound good though!

    PS: Love the Shrek reference too - can totally picture you saying that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was rather disturbed by the rat-like beet image, but am intrigued by the recipe... Thanks, Charis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. um.. hidden veggies in cake - sounds like a mom trying to get kids to eat healthy! hehee, no really, it sounds awesome, i have heard many first hand reviews! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)(PS do you really have room to freeze an entire bundt cake in your freezer? i'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! i too thought it looked like a rat! so not only do i not like beets, i did not know how rodent-like they looked!

    but kudos to you for figuring out how to deal with your unexpected abundance. i never realized the amount of things you could hide in cakes and cookies... but i think i'll take your word for it and be happy to eat it at your house... haha

    also, did you know dad loves beets? i never knew that until last year --(although i think he prefers canned) but if you have too many, there is another option.

    happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I roasted my first round of beets, but after that? I confess to letting them go back. There are only so many beets a girl can eat. But beets in chocolate cake? I can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! That did look a bit too much like a rat. If it were a mouse, it might be a differnet story. But I can definately understand where you are coming from. I plan to call you today because my visit with you is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG over due!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just so you guys know, I had 5 beets that looked like that! Some were the size of a mouse I suppose, but one lonely rat image or a whole family of mice?? I went with the lesser of the two evils. But in regards to Sarah D's question, just cut the cake up in individual slices and wrap them in plastic, put them in a big ziploc in your freezer, and then you can have a fresh piece of cake whenever the hankering hits you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that scene from The Office - probably my favorite from the entire series...but ironically I hate beets.

    ReplyDelete