Sunday, January 9, 2011

some more lists...

As I've been catching up on some of my favorite blogs, they are so very similar to what I've been thinking about...lists.

How much i hate them...

How much I can't live without them.

I am the kind of person that needs to write a list of everyday things just to get them done. And if I do something that's not on the list, I write it in JUST so I can cross it off and feel some sense of accomplishment. I know I'm not alone in this. I get it from my father, who at any moment can pull a torn off piece of envelope from his chest pocket and cross off something that's been on there for 2 months.

the point of lists is to do the things on them. it's so funny to find lists from long ago, and see what got done and what didn't. But I like getting things done.That's why my favorite lists are grocery lists that say 'milk, eggs, butter,' and daily lists that say 'breakfast, lunch, dinner' because these things ALWAYS get done.

The lists like 'take shower, read Bible, vacuum' get done, sadly, on a much less regular basis.
Then there are the mental lists that keep me from resting even when I've been sick for 3 days.
Then there are the lists I write for my husband. Lists of things to give to my mom the next time I see her. Lists of people to write letters to. Lists, lists, lists. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

Here, though, are some that YOU dear reader can help me accomplish.
1. Have people over for dinner at least once a month (please feel free to invite yourself, as I sadly don't get around to making meal dates half as much as I should)
2. Praying for specific needs of people (again, please let me know if you need prayer for a certain situation)
3. Playing piano...just for fun, just for me and my musical soul. (You can help me do this by simply asking me/reminding me to do it.)
4. Be more open and flexible in my schedule to help others when they need it.

And as my past experience suggests, short lists have a higher percentage rate of getting accomplished.

As I sign off, my list is: make Evan stop crying, blow my nose, take medicine, ... And take time to truly REST on this Sabbath. May you be in better health than this household is =: )

4 comments:

  1. bummer about being sick, hope you feel better soon! I understand about the to-do lists, they are a love-hate type of thing. Hope you got to resting today, miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I write a task on my list just so I can cross it off, too!
    Could you use some soup,help, or company? I'd love to come over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i laughed outloud on that bit about dad :)
    greg always gets on my case that i prefer to write my lists on envelopes. new ones. he says it's a waste of paper. i tell him: i like them. they are long and skinny. like a list. and besides, how often do we use envelopes? we have about 300 left over from last christmas, and pay all our bills online. so i am not wasting them. i am USING them! :)

    speaking of which, i need to go write my list! i can't believe i only have 9 days to get this place in order before i see you! ack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I so relate with writing down things just to check them off. Unfortunately, however, list making has run by the wayside during this season. If i had one, it would be 'keep the children alive' and maybe 'keep myself sane' at the end of the day, if i've check them off, it's a success!! ;)
    PS My word verification tonight was 'feces'. Hmmm..how very fitting for the day I had!

    ReplyDelete