Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Rachel Ray... with kids

I was recently catching up on some Ina Garten and Rachel Ray at my dad's house ( I'm such a cooking show-aholic that yes, I have him record some of them so I can fill up my food-loving cup once in a while).

First I must say that I truly miss some of the "Great Masters" of the nineties...I grew up watching Julia Child, Jaques Pepin, and Marianne Esposito. I must be frank that some of the Food Network shows are a bit too flashy and celebrity infested for my taste. It is only food, and though I ADORE food, sometimes the over dramatization, crazy language, and nausea inducing camera movements get on my nerves. But when you're desperate, you're desperate.

So there I was watching a 30 minute meals show with Rachel Ray, and she whips out some chicken appetizer with Thai dipping sauce, couscous with raisins and curry with a quick shrimp-curry-coconut-peanut dish and shredded lettuce on top and you know what hit me? There needs to be a disclaimer on these cooking shows:

"Time frames are only for those who have no children around, and does not include clean up"

Seriously Rachel Ray (or anyone on FOOD Network) I'd like to see you make a three course meal with 27 ingredients AND little children hanging all over you, one hungry toddler whining, er, nay I say,  yelling 'RICE PUFF, Please, RICE PUUUUFFFF mommy!' and the other just plain crying for lack of undivided attention. (I'm sorry Evan, but mommy has to eat sometime...) If she could make a nice 30 minute meal under THOSE circumstances, she'd have my respect for life. 

As it is, the only show I've seen with a child involved was Jacques Pepin with his 30 some year old daughter. Enough said.

Nonetheless, I have found it possible to cook with my children because of two inventions, well, two inventions and one necessity. Most days, I cook, eat, and clean up with the help of these things:
Did you know homemade playdough takes less than 10 minutes to make WITH children? And it's average lifespan of distraction is about 30 minutes?? It's a miracle.
Bouncing baby = happy baby = happy mommy

And on very special days, like today, when BOTH of them are taking naps at the same time, and God gives you a healthy dose of inspiration (or just the joyful prospect of cooking in peace)...Good food happens:

Tuscan Sausage and Potato Soup
Chicken pot pie with Butternut squash and Green Beans 
( I think cooked rotisserie chickens are my new friend)
Cut up tons of stuff for taco salads
And a lemon bundt cake.

Just so we're clear, this NEVER happens. But I think I really need to be much more of an afternoon-nap cook than I have been. It's so much more efficient and less stressful. And when dinner time comes, no whining for rice puffs can happen if there's a delicious meal at the ready. 

Hope I've inspired you to cook or bake something delicious for your family today...

"Life's a drink. Drink it up."  Cheers~



4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking today that I miss Julia Child - that was a cooking show! Rachel Ray has too many ingredients for me, and I don't have kids! Wish we could cook up a dinner together, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle Yoder and I once made one of Rachael Ray's "30 minute meals." I think it took an hour-and-a-half. Maybe it would have been 30 minutes if everything had been prepped for us, like it is for Rachael on set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Charis. I enjoy reading your blog posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! love it! seriously, cooking with toddlers, what a crazy event. I like your disclaimer idea. I need to get your playdoh recipe! miss ya

    ReplyDelete