Friday, April 15, 2011

Sunshine on a cloudy heart

Today is supposed to be happy. I have two beautiful children and a husband that loves me. I have a God who created me and loves me so much he gave HIS son to die for my sin so I can be free...in this life and the next.

When I think of how much I have to be thankful for, I sit in awe. And yet,

"Each heart knows it's own bitterness, and no one else can share in it's joy." Proverbs

You know those days. Out of the blue (or sometimes not so out of the blue) come depressive thoughts. Loneliness, even if one is surrounded by people. Tiredness, even when you've had sleep. Jealousy, even when you're content with what you have. Sick children, even when it seems like they just got over being sick. Frustration at mundane duties, when yesterday they did not frustrate in the least.

Into such a day as this, Jesus came through the voice of a child to me. As I was sitting eating breakfast whilst Evan is crying for no good reason (at least to me), complaining inwardly how lonely and tiring life can be, Luke pops out (in between coughs) in a cheerful voice:

Rejoice, baby Evan, Rejoice

I kid you not!

Silly me for ever forgetting, even for a moment, that Jesus knows my heart, and he knows how to bring it joy. 
Each and EVERY day.

"I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart
Where?
Down in my heart!
Where?
Down in my heart to stay!"


2 comments:

  1. Oh how I KNOW of what you write!!!!
    Motherhood, for all it's centrality around human life, can be downright lonely. If if you're fortunate enough to have a loving husband, attentive family, good friends....it's still be home and sacrificing self over and over and over, without much (any) feedback or thanks. But there is always Jesus...and His joy, joy, joy down (sometimes WAAAAYYYY down) in our hearts!! ;)
    Love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the sweetest thing ever, i'm serious!

    and i just saw your quote of the day -- i just realized that song was from my spring harvest tape from '92, i remember us all listening to it while we toured wales!

    ReplyDelete