Thursday, April 21, 2011

A yummy reminder...

 This week I was reminded of some people I love very much simply by making a very humble dish: home made oven baked fries. (see below for this simple and tasty treat).

I don't know if this ever happens to you, but me, being slightly obsessed with food, tend to relate any food I like to a memory, a place, a person, a particular joy...

In potatoes, oil, butter, and salt, I was reminded of my sister Rebekah and her dear hubby Josh, one of my closest friends ever Blonnie, and my brother -in-law Matt. So let me briefly introduce you to them:

Matt  is currently stationed in Hawaii serving our country in the Navy, and right now is God-knows-where doing God-knows-what for God-knows-how long. So please pray for him. He has a sweet fiance' and family that loves him and is praying for his Safety and Health.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Matt holding his two (at the time) nephews.

Next up on my sweet memory list is Blonnie, one of my dear friends from college, who now lives in Hawaii with her Army husband Joe. After spending four years eating with her, I can safely say that I have a pretty good idea of what she likes to eat. And now that she is also eating gluten free, any time I find myself eating something yummy without wheat I think of her.
 This is from Blonnie's wedding over a year ago...haven't seen her in person since. Have GOT to remedy that soon!!!

And last but not least, meet one of my sisters:  Rebekah and her handsome husband live in Chicago, and it is her birthday today! Happy Birthday to you Weeebekah! (as when I was young that is, sad to say, how I pronounced her name!) Last year I got to go see her for a sisters reunion over her birthday,  which was wonderful! We ate out at an absolutely wonderful rib joint, and had french fries and ribs till our sides were bursting with joy and fat.
 This is from our trip last summer: Luke and auntie getting some real bonding time in =: )


SO WHAT'S UP WITH THE FRENCH FRIES? You ask.

Well, it's really quite simple. All of these dear folk love them (who doesn't), and Rebekah gave me the salt: if you look closely, there is Black Hawaiian Salt from a delightful spice shop in Chicago generously sprinkled on them.  

Sometimes it can be the simplest things that can bring a smile to my face...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Oven Baked Home Fries

4 medium Russet potatoes, cut into 10-12 wedges each
1 TB. oil
1 TB. butter, melted
1 tsp. kosher salt, OR black Hawaiian salt
Soak potato wedges in hot water for 10 minutes. Dry with paper towels, and then coat evenly with oil and butter on a large sheet pan. Roast for 25-30 minutes or so at 450, tossing every 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with salt and serve. Serves 4. Enjoy!








2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! :)
    Hope you have a wonderful day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love food, too, and often associate with memories and people. And those potatoes? Look SO good. I never thought of using butter AND oil. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete