A few words have been running through my head
since the new year rolled around...
Peace. Tranquility.
Isn't this what all of us crave? Who passions over
stress, busyness, crazy lifestyles, constant running?
Ok, I know some days of that cannot be avoided. But in
the midst of it all, I crave...Peace. Tranquility. I strive
for this. Who doesn't?
I fail. A lot. Ask my husband. Few people get to see
my real, nasty, ungrateful self as often as he does.
In the midst of self-imploding chaos he will often say
(or exclaim, rather) "all I want is a little peace and
tranquility, is that too much to ask?"
On my own, that answer always seems to be yes.
I seem prone to over-exaggerating small
problems, the messy dishes becoming fire breathing monsters
and the 2012th glass of spilled milk becoming molten lava
burning my feet.
But in the midst of all this I had a revelation, or resolution,
strike me.
Simplify. God said it. My heart heard it. Because I need it.
Simplify what?
Isn't my life slow and mundane already (compared to some)?
Simplify.
If you're too busy with sleep to spend time with me,
too busy with chores to nurture your children with real grace,
too busy with your own agenda and selfish thoughts to
refresh your husband, than you are too busy.
too busy with chores to nurture your children with real grace,
too busy with your own agenda and selfish thoughts to
refresh your husband, than you are too busy.
I will say it again: Simplify.
Read the Bible...don't worry about all the other books right now.
Listen to the Word...don't worry about all the other music right now.
Eat toast and scrambled eggs, if that's what is the least stressful.
Snuggle with the kids. The tv show can wait.
Simplify.
So this is what I'm trying to do. Simplify my priorities for the
new year/for life. What needs to be done?
new year/for life. What needs to be done?
I need God's word to refresh my soul. Consistently.
Only He can truly set my heart at peace.
I've come to the conclusion that devoted time with Him
does not happen unless I know I will not be distracted.
Only He can truly set my heart at peace.
I've come to the conclusion that devoted time with Him
does not happen unless I know I will not be distracted.
Therefore I must rise BEFORE the kids.
Set an alarm if need be. (I hate alarms!)
So 1st resolution: Get up at least 1 hour prior to the kids.
Set an alarm if need be. (I hate alarms!)
So 1st resolution: Get up at least 1 hour prior to the kids.
I also need to keep my physical body in tune.
Since I found out I was pregnant again, and knowing
we're going to Hawaii in February, I've been really
Since I found out I was pregnant again, and knowing
we're going to Hawaii in February, I've been really
motivated to stay somewhat in shape. I feel better
when I exercise. But again, doing exercise videos
with two teeny boys under my feet,
when I exercise. But again, doing exercise videos
with two teeny boys under my feet,
constant toys being tossed to and fro,
is enough to make me go mad sometimes...
is enough to make me go mad sometimes...
But the days that I exercise in peace...before they wake...
go so much better!
go so much better!
So these two simple goals are what I'm going to try and stick with to get spiritual God time and physical me time in. The two times I've done this already this week have helped my day go SO much better!
Thus I can't have too much going on in the week, or I'll too quickly ditch this plan. (Or I'll get too
tired to wake up earlier).
I'm realizing that an outing three times a week is doable for the kids and me.
One of those outings is groceries.
One of those is Bible study.
And then of course Ed has ideas too that he
wants to do with the kids.
It is stressful, in this season of life, to do more.
And sometimes I can't even do all that.
If I try to do too much, rushed lunches and cranking children
and a too-short afternoons follow. This results in a non-peaceful
and non-tranquil mother. (and you know the saying,
if mother isn't happy, ain't nobody happy!)
and non-tranquil mother. (and you know the saying,
if mother isn't happy, ain't nobody happy!)
Simplify.
Last week was the first one in a long time I had
nothing planned. No one was sick.
I could simply be home, exercise,
nothing planned. No one was sick.
I could simply be home, exercise,
do my chores, plan my meals, do the bills,
and not be RUSHED.
and not be RUSHED.
Listen to a sermon online while the boys are napping?
Take a nap myself? Read my Bible in quiet solitude?
Make cookies with Luke?
Take a nap myself? Read my Bible in quiet solitude?
Make cookies with Luke?
These are much more tranquil moments when I am not rushed.
This chapter of Isaiah has really captured my attention
this past week. I've read it at least 5 times now.
It hit me anew how many times God says 'come' and 'listen.'
Are those not the same words I'm trying to teach to my children?
this past week. I've read it at least 5 times now.
It hit me anew how many times God says 'come' and 'listen.'
Are those not the same words I'm trying to teach to my children?
"Come, all you who are thirsty,
Come to the waters;
And you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come buy wine and milk without money
and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, Listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.
Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live."
Isaiah 55:1-3
I note to myself that God describes basic food staples,
in those days - wine, milk, and bread- as 'the richest of fare.'
I want to live by eating this feast of simplicity.
Listening to Jesus, and sitting at His table every day.
Eating soul-satisfying peace.
Beautiful, Charis!
ReplyDeleteLoved this post Charis. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, they are beautiful and spot on. You rock! Xoxox
ReplyDelete