Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Trip of a lifetime Part 2...Hawaii!

 Sun, warmth, more sun, smile...sigh....I don't know how we could have not had a good time in such a place! No wonder why people will fly around the world to go to Hawaii! It's gorgeous!
 Day 1: My dear friend Blonnie picks us up from the airport. We go out to eat (fabulous!), soak in the sun, and try not to fall asleep as we tool around before picking Blonnie up from work and heading back to her house to make dinner, and pass out shortly after =: ) Blonnie and Joe graciously let us stay at their place while on Oahu, AND let us borrow their cars for all our sightseeing dreams...Joe even was our personal tour guide for a whole day. More on that to come...
 Day 2: We drove up towards the North Shore, and stopped at the Dole Pineapple Plantation, where we were told just the day before when we were eating at a diner that we HAD to try the pineapple soft serve they have there...Amazing! I also did not know that pineapples grew on little bushes on the ground =: )
 This is a rainbow eucalyptus tree...we had never seen bark like that before. Isn't it beautiful? I will tell you now, it will never cease to amaze me how much variety there is in creation. We serve a very imaginative God, that's for sure!


 COLORS!

 Up at the North Shore, the waves are the best for surfing. And the vehicles that transport the surfers and surf boards also caught our eye =: )
We spent about an hour at the Waimea (there might be a few more vowels in that word, not sure) Bay beach park, which was spent in total glorious breezy sun. Any longer and these very white folks would've gotten burnt the first day, but while we were there we enjoyed watching the CRAZY waves- and the crazy people in the waves. This pic does not do it justice but the waves here were literally 20-30 feet high and then would crash into the ground with a foot to spare. Dangerous! The lifegaurd kept calling out to not go in or you could drown very easily, even if you were an experienced swimmer. So let's just say that I got my feet wet =: )

That night we went back to Joe and Blonnie's and made steak and chicken on the grill, and Ed's brother Matt came to join us for dinner and then brought us back to his place on the other side of the island so we could start first thing in the morning with more fun on his day off.

More adventure to come!

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! I am struggling very hard right now with jealousy...and yet I am also SO happy you had this chance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't want you to feel any envy, but I know what you mean. I'm sure you'll have your trip of a lifetime sometime too! It is sad though that Matt and Blonnie live SOOO far away, but a great excuse to visit them =: )
    I was just reading the last chapter of Thousand Gifts and she described her trip in Paris, leaving all her 6 kids and husband behind...can you imagine (the BLISS)! Jealousy hit me too, even with just having gotten back from HI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I have a grandson who has been around the world and I never got further than Vienna. A daughter who has been to HI, and I never made it past San Francisco. I guess the next generation always exceeds the one before. Great pictures, and I love the woody!

    PaPaD

    ReplyDelete