Monday, May 14, 2012

Anger management

I hope you have those moments every now and then, like I just have, where God touches you with just a few challenging words that renew your spirit to persevere, to strive, to pursue godliness just that much more.

Here's my verse that hit me square in the face in last week's sermon. In fact it caught me so much that I have no idea what the rest of the sermon was about. My mind immediately began to think through all the reasons why I HAVE to change and all the positive effects this change would bring.

So the verse? James 1:19-20: "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires."

Well, I'm the opposite of all that. The exact opposite.

According to my husband, I do NOT listen well. I know it. I just blab and interrupt to my heart's content. But it really bothers him when I don't really listen. He's been saying it for 5, well actually 9 years. So it's time I really put this listening thing to heart.

And According to my own self-awareness, I am way too quick to become angry. And at what? If I'm honest, it's not the big things that make me lash out. It's:

Spilled juice. Kids waking up earlier than they're 'supposed to'. Dirty feet. Piles of laundry. Whining. Oh the whining. Potty training failures. Little sinners (and big sinners too). Forgetfulness, especially when it involves stairs and bringing things to where they belong. Aching back. You know, the little frustrations of life.

I don't remember my mom EVER yelling at us. I'm serious. Five kids to raise and never yelling? I don't know how she did it. (Besides LOTS of God's grace and being naturally gifted with one of the kindest hearts I've ever known). But since being a mother I have definitely had my fair share of unrighteous yelling. And it's really got to stop. It sounds awful. Because it is. And you know what? Raising my voice never accomplishes anything! And worst of all, I'm realizing just how serious my humble little existence is in the exemplifying of Christ to my kids. I'm it most of the time. They see me pretty much all day, everyday. So when I lose my cool and lash out, even if not directed at them, they notice. Then, worst of all, they act like that too. Which makes me even more angry. A vicious cycle. "For man's anger does NOT bring about the righteous life that God desires."

I have by God's help though come upon a sure fire way of calming myself and them down anytime I feel anger quickly coming on. Such a simple thing if I put my mind to it.

Say God's Word out loud. To them. To me.

Breathe and simply count to ten.

Tell them I'm sorry. Mommy was wrong. Hugs.

I'm a blond, and it takes me a while to learn some things, but hopefully I can become a better example to my kids as I put God's word to heart.


I'd love to hear what God has been saying to your heart recently...

Until next time... Enjoy this wonderful spring weather (yes even the rain that saves me from watering my garden =: )


No comments:

Post a Comment