You know how memories often have layers in them? You think of one thing and it is immediately joined by several other related memories...Like a delicious sandwich! (Ok, ok, I just might have to make some kind of foodie blog eventually!)
My dinner tonight, humble in its simpleness, stressful due to surroundings of non-peace (kids) and mega-mess (moi), brought so many pleasant memories to mind it caught me by surprise. Granted the last several years of my life have brought quite an avalanche of decline from aspiring gourmet to grab-n-go short order cook, but nonetheless, in the words of Jane Austen's Mrs. Elton from Emma, "I do know how to make a sandwich."
So as I chew, here's what's rolling through my mind:
~Sourdough bread made from my sister-in-law's starter she trucked all the way from Virginia to Tennessee to share and then we brought it back from TN and have been making stuff for two weeks now...And this particular loaf turned out amazing, and thus our BLT's were quite something! Thanks Laura! I feel like I'm eating history when I eat something 'started' a year ago! AND I'm remembering so many good times from reunion it makes me want to cry. (Or Kelly's clawing, grunting, groaning at me for a bite makes me want to cry, not sure which!)
~Tomatoes grown from our garden, which Luke helped me plant. When we got back from TN Luke, Evan and I picked almost a half bushel, and this latest handful was no less red, ripe, and altogether juicy sweet. I also must admit here that I only recently learned to appreciate tomatoes. And you know what got me to eat them raw? A friend serving me a BLT with a garden RED sweet tomato slice! Thanks Jeane'! ( I wonder how she's doing, and all her kids...another rabbit trail of happy thoughts...)
~ Bacon hearkens me back to visiting with my brother and sister-in-law when they lived in Houston and JD made a whole pound of bacon in the oven...it was the best bacon I had ever had! Their apartment smelled like bacon for hours. Thanks JD for teaching me something new! And I then think of my two dear nieces that I just got to spend a week with and may not see again for a year or two (ahhh!), which really makes me want to cry!
What's with all the crying? What's happening to me!? It's just a sandwich! Golly...
Oh, hubby just got home...time to serve him up this non-gourmet but no less delicious summertime fair!
Enjoy these last few remnants of summer days...and if dinner means JUST corn on the cob, or just a sandwich, so be it!
P.S. And by the way (because I know you're just dying to know this), having JUST corn on the cob was a very common occurrence in my family growing up, and brings to mind many other fond memories of eating outside in nothing but swimsuits and chucking our leftover ears into the woods...I think I might just need some tissues... ; )
look at that tomato! all looks amazing, and yes i agree - two years is toooo long. must remedy. tears are shared, dear sister. PS there's a great house a down the block (currently for sale) that i always say looks like the O'Connell's would live there... hint hint :)
ReplyDeleteoh! and penny gets a two week spring break!! I'm thinking of making it up there with the girls, lets hope it irons out to happen! xoxox
ReplyDeleteThat would be amazing!! Miss you guys!! xoxo
Delete