Thursday, June 7, 2012

A good read...

I haven't read a good book lately (well, any book at all to tell you the truth!) but two weeks ago I finally got two books to read that I thought would be encouraging. Man was I right for once! One of them, called Sacred Parenting, I saw on my brother's coffee table in Dallas and since he probably has less time to read then I do I figured it was probably pretty good (besides him telling me so =: ). So thank you Gary Thomas for some very poignant, encouraging words...Even though I only get in a page or two at a time, there is always something that waters the roots of this parenting heart!

So here's one of my favorite quotes so far:

" What our children ask of us pales in comparison to what we ask of God. In our struggles and our weariness, may we never get to the place of self-righteousness, forgetting that God has forgiven us, is patient with us, and endures our own failings to an even greater extent than we do for our children. Most kids live with us for two, maybe two and a half, decades; God puts up with us for the full breadth of our lives. While our children may occasionally provoke us with offensive words, God sees every offensive inclination of our hearts. For every single offense for which we forgive our children, God forgives us many times over. He remains patient with us for many times longer than we must exercise patience with our children. He doesn't ask anything of us as parents that he hasn't delivered a hundred times over himself. 
We need to use the most wearisome aspects of parenting as the occasion for thanking God for putting up with us. When we look through this lens, we find that raising a demanding child can actually become motivation for worshiping and adoring God."

Wow is all I had to say/think when I read that. I hope you're are encouraged with these words as much as I was! My eyes are closing so I'm off to bed. Good night!


1 comment:

  1. Wow!! That's so awesome!! Thank you for posting it!!

    ReplyDelete